When I saw these hilarious apple monsters, I knew they would be perfect for Songbird’s Halloween class party. Creative credit is due to Cara who blogs over at Fork and Beans, but her instructions lacked step by step photos. Being a gotta-see-it person, I thought I’d post my sequential pics here in case you’re a visual learner too.
My ingredients differ slightly from her originals as well: granny smith apples, cookie butter, strawberries, candy eyes, and sunflower seeds
1. Cut one green apple into quarters and remove the core bits.
2. Carefully cut into the center of the apple slice to remove a mouth-shaped section. This is the hardest part. Just go slow and carve carefully.
3. Fill the mouth area with cookie butter. You could use peanut or other nut butter, but the cookie butter is sweet deliciousness and allergen-friendly (look for it in the peanut butter aisle).
4. I bought commercial candy eyes cause they were cheap and easy. Attach them with a smidge of the cookie butter.
5. Slice a strawberry vertically and stick one piece into the mouth for the tongue.
6. Final touch is some sunflower seed teeth!
The trick to getting them to stand up straight is to use the wedge you removed from the mouth to prop it up from behind.
I just love playing with my food, don’t you?