Any excuse to go to the beaches of Florida is a good one, right? Especially when it involves Songbird appearing in her reprisal role as a flower girl. Since Handsome has to work and the cost of 3 round trip plane tickets was astronomical, I was left with one option.
Drive. Alone. With both kids.
Determined to be super prepped, I spent the last week putting together a game plan. Today I’m sharing Part I: Car Prep.
1. I can’t actually recall the last time I vacuumed my car. Between winter weather and crumb-generating kids, I mostly figure “Why bother?” But if I’m going to practically be living in this space for the next 2 days, then it might as well start clean. (We all know it won’t end that way)
2. While we’re at it, let’s tackle the windows. I had a high school boyfriend who taught me that newsprint is the best thing to use because it doesn’t leave lint. So, to Matt Bollwerk, wherever you are – thanks for the lasting impression you made on my life. I don’t actually read the newspaper, but Joann mailers are good for more than just coupons, ya know.
3. If they’re good enough for a babies bum, they’re good enough for my dash. Also surprisingly effective.
4. Picked up a few smell good satchels from Kirklands Home for under the seats. It may be wishful thinking to assume the aroma will be anything but fast food cheeseburgers, but at least I tried.
5. I think this little stick mat was in someone’s stocking this Christmas. I found it forlorn in the junk drawer, but decided to give it a shot. And yes, 10 years after having Lasik surgery I now require glasses for night driving. Handsome doesn’t mind the occasional librarian look… ;)
6. Should your small son get unruly during your cleaning efforts, give him a blue sponge and tell him he’s in charge of the cleaning the outside. He took this very seriously and stayed out from under foot for at least 30 minutes.
7. Make sure the gas tank is topped off – check. I could tell you a story about when Handsome almost ran out of gas in the hills, but I won’t.
8. Oh look, my cleaning good fortune continues. Although my little boy did his best, there’s just a few spots he couldn’t reach at 3 ft tall.
A little wipedown of the car seats and we’re all set! Don’t miss tomorrow for Part Deux : Kid Prep.